Monday, March 15, 2010

New Releases- March 16 ; Philosophy of My Reviwing

Well boys and girls, I have listened to parts of about 12 new cd's so far today, and absolutely nothing stands out. At all. I could get smarmy and trash a few of these cd's for comic effect, but that's no fun. You may say - "Hey - what kind of a reviewer are you that you don't listen all the way through to every new release?!" Look, I'm 47. I obviously miss a few gems here and there along the way (I'm not perfect), or else something simply isn't my genre, but at this point in my life : 1. I've heard just about everything. I've seen the trends come and go. I remember almost every single one of the "classic" releases from 1968 onward. I just do not have time for cuteness or crap. And 2. I'm really just mining for those rare releases each year that really grab me and there's no real debate about its merit...either in its ability to please in the immediate or else its ability to stand as a work of art that can be admired for years to come. I am aware of the "low art" vs. "high art" arguments, and I can appreciate both well-done pop AND well-done experimental stuff, even though I may not actually like it. Radiohead comes to mind first. And maybe The Flaming Lips. 2 bands that I just don't enjoy, yet I really do APPRECIATE their merit and would honestly try to review them that way....even if I'm not digging it. This is where things can get a little subjective of course. But when I review a cd, I'm bringing all of my 43 years of intent music listening to bear, and I think that counts for a lot. Especially after 3 or 4 years of enduring a lot of "modern," much younger music critics who just frustrated me to no end with what they were affirming. I mean, give me Journey and Foreigner over 3/4ths of what is lauded as great today! That's what I'm saying.

1 comment: