Monday, March 1, 2010

New Release: Rogue Wave - "Permalight"

4 songs into this cd I was ready to write Rogue Wave's new one off as sort of Spoon or Phoenix-lite. I've liked their singles in the past, and would probably go see them at a Bonaroo or the like, but I've never been WOWED by them. But once you get to song #6 (and I'm not saying the first 5 suck, but...) and beyond, this is a pretty good cd - with some excellent moments! Even on the first few songs that I wasn't crazy about, I was struck with the excellent production and sound and execution (both vocally and instrumentally) of the songs. They sounded confident and on top of their game; there were just not a lot of melodic ideas floating around to hold interest or even compel. The first 5 songs do sound a little better the 2nd time around by the way, but nothing to write home about. But then Rogue Wave kicks it in gear beginning with "Fear Itself," and then climaxing with the next 2 songs - "Right With You" and "We Will Make a Song Destroy," which will definitely make my Favorite Songs of 2010. Nothing will bump that song out, copying a Dylan riff from "Neighborhood Bully" (Infidels, 1983). The last few songs are very, very good too, and so it actually redeemed itself with the last half. Not amazing, but not bad at all. (7.5 out of 10)

No comments:

Post a Comment