Once again, dear reader, my absence has not been from lack of listening to new cd's. I have simply not had anything positive to say. So, here are some one sentence reviews of those cd's.
1. John Cougar Mellancamp - "No Better than This" (7.0 out of 10) We will all be better off when this T-Bone production thing just goes away. Nothing necessarily against T-Bone, but this "rustic" style of production is just a gimmick when there are crappy songs involved. I could record shit in Sun Studios.
2. Azure Ray - "Drawing Down the Moon" (5.0 out of 10) If they had continued as Little Red Rocket, these 2 women would be household names and headliners at summer festivals with their God given gift of crafting melodic pop. Instead, they spent way too much time with Conner Oberst and got all artsy on us. Sucks.
3. Robert Plant - "Band of Joy" (6.8 out of 10) Almost in the same vein/idea as mt T-Bone complaining above; the problen isn't necessarily with the genre per se....it's just that the songs drag, guest stars are trotted out to spray paint the dung, and reviewers nod thoughtfully and call it inspired.
4. Grinderman - "Grinderman 2" (7.0 out of 10) I don't get it. Honestly.
5. Eric Clapton - "Clapton" (5.0 out of 10) Humiliating. Sad.
6. K T Tunstall - "Tiger Suit" (5.0 out of 10) Just awful. She once had such promise.