Monday, October 11, 2010

Belle and Sebastian - "Write About Love" 6.6 out of 10

I am broken-hearted and I have been here before. In 1985 Kate Bush released her magnum opus "Hounds of Love." Four long, agonizing (for her fans) years later she finally released a new cd - "The Sensual World." It was a great disappointment; a very mediocre effort. Belle and Sebastian fans have waited 4 and a half years to hear new music from the band. I was excited, thinking that a fresh Stuart Murdoch would be a classic Stuart Murdoch. I am here to report that this is by far their weakest effort as a band. A paint-by-numbers performance lacking vitality, wit, inspiration or punch. There are moments of course - "I Didn't See It Coming," "I Want the World to Stop," "I'm Not Living In the Real World," and the title track remind us (a little bit) of what once was. Oh well - you can't win 'em all. I'm calling this cd "Belle and Sebastian Write About Mediocrity."

No comments:

Post a Comment