Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Arcade Fire - "The Suburbs" 8.6 out of 10

So I'm very late to the game in reviewing this cd from Canada's Arcade Fire. And, honestly, maybe you shouldn't entirely listen to me concerning this particular release. I feel like I'm missing something that everybody else is seeing/feeling/hearing. But, for what it's worth, there is, indeed, a certain undeniable power here; a classic feel and with something to say to boot. From the "Heart of Glass" sounding "Sprawl II, to what would be the single if I were the A and R man, "City With No Children," this is truly Ruth's Chris Steak House compared to the McDonalds of Katy Perry or the cheap sushi, self-important Lady Gaga. But....there is a relative sameness here (no, not lyrically - I'm down with thematic albums), but instrumentally, vocally, and production-wise. Don't get me wrong - I don't think Arcade will ever be better than this and I do think it deserves "Best of 2010" consideration...but I'm not on-board the Arcade Fire train. I don't think this cd will age well. Call me in 2015. Post-script: At the insistence of my son Stuart and good friend Jane Anderton Cole, I'm revising my grade from 8.2 to 8.6, Listened to it again, and I think I'm closer to their view of "classic" album. Thanks guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment